Earlier in the year an Associated Builders and Contractors study found that the construction industry will need to attract an estimated 546,000 additional workers on top of the normal pace of hiring in 2023 to meet the demand for labor.
Now that we’re heading into 2024, the question still remains: Where will this building and construction talent come from?
We believe it’s time for a more coordinated effort across the industry to help fill the labor pipeline.
To answer the call, we’ve been working on a Talent Training + Development Map.
Like our Off-Site Heat Map, this one-stop-shop can help folks interested in joining our industry identify opportunities for training, mentorships, apprenticeships, sponsored training and four-year degrees throughout the U.S. that will help set them up for success.
Briefly, here are the types of organizations highlighted:
- Career + Technical Education (CTE)—Programs that provide an important pathway to success for high school students.
- Certificate-Based Programs—Non-degree programs in specialty areas such as plumbing or electrical and universal skill sets such as job-site safety.
- Apprenticeship—Programs that subsidize the education costs of talent while they get on-the-job experience.
- Two-year Degree—Degree-based program completed in 2 years for a career on the construction management side of the business.
- Four-year Degree—Degree-based program completed in 4 years for a career on the construction management side of the business.
So, here’s where we can use your knowledge!
If you know an organization or individual —or if it’s you or your organization— we should feature on the map, add your information here. If you have any comments on our approach or want to work with us to ensure this tool’s success, contact us here. We’d love to hear from you!
Let’s help change the narrative and get new people involved. Housing isn’t a gig – it’s a career!
Like what we’re doing? Join the Housing Innovation Alliance to network, attend events, collaborate, connect, and gain access to more tools + resources!